The 2016 Compassion Games will again take place Sunday, September 11- Wednesday, September 21. The Compassion Games calls all people from all sectors and all parts of our world to share the vision of justice and equality, and collaborate to create a more connected, caring community. The Global Unity Games stretch from the National Day of Service and Remembrance through the International Day of Peace. This period of time is known as the 11 Days of Global Unity.
For an introduction to the Compassion Games, go to compassiongames.org/global-unity-games/
This year, SiVIC and Compassionate Silicon Valley are embarking on a campaign to have Santa Clara County and all Cities in the County (Silicon Valley) affirm and sign the Charter For Compassion and thereby earn the status of “Compassionate Silicon Valley”, joining many areas of the world who have affirmed the Charter and adopted compassionate policies.
We urge you to personally sign the Charter and the petition to your city/county officials, urging them to affirm and sign the Charter. The Petition form provides the details about the Charter. Please click on this petition link and fill the form which will be your electronic signature.
For more on the Charter, see: www.charterforcompassion.org.
Events and Actions for the Compassion Games
- September 9, 7:00 – 8:30 pm – SiVIC Forum & Compassion Games Launch: “Lost in the Violence? A Moment of Reflection”, at African American Community Services Agency; 304 N. 6th Street, San Jose, 95112 Open to Public.
- September 10 & 11, 11:00 am -6:00 pm 45th Anniversary Art & Wine Festival: Kick off for Team Silicon Valley, On Castro Street, Mountain View, CA – Open to Public
- September 11, 4:30 – 6:30pm– Multi-faith Peace Picnic organized by Dave Cortese, President, Board of Supervisors and American Muslim Voice Foundation, Co-Sponsored by SiVIC, Compassion Games International & Others. At Mitchell Park, 600 East Meadow Drive, Palo Alto, CA 94306 – Open to Public. Please register at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/peace-picnic-tickets-27179552774 (free). (http://www.amuslimvoice.org/2016-peace-picnic/2016-peace-picnic.html)
- September 17, 11:00 am-12:30pm – Celebrating Spiritual Week of Fasting, Celebrating Universal Forgiveness and Promote Compassionate Community – Jain Center of Northern California (JCNC), 722 S. Main Street, Milpitas, CA 95035 followed by lunch – Free
- September 17, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm – 9th Annual Luna Park Chalk Art Festival, Backesto Park, San Jose – We need chalk artists to draw the SiVIC and Compassion Games logos.
- September 18, All Day – Food drive for the Lord’s Pantry & Packing “bags for the homeless” – Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Saratoga – Gathering items and will be packing 300 paper lunch-sized bags for people to keep in their cars to hand out to the homeless. – Join us (free)
- September 21 – 12:00 – 1:00 pm – Meditation Session in honor of International Day of Peace to reflect upon the peace in our hearts, our community and our world – Center for Spiritual Enlightenment, 1146 University Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126 – Open to Public – free
- September 21 – 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm – “LOVE > hate”, Commemorating the 35thanniversary of the International Day of Peace – Peace Pole at Lake Elizabeth in Central Park, Fremont, CA – 5:00 pm Peace Walk, 6:00 pm Concluding ceremony at Peace Pole. – Open to public.
- September 21 – 5:00 – 8:00 pm – Open House to celebrate International Day of Peace. Ttalk, food, music and more on the theme: “Our dream: a peaceful, sustainable world with justice and equality for all”. San Jose Peace & Justice Center, 48 South 7th St., San Jose.
- September 21, 5:00 – 7:00 pm – Peace Pole Dedication, Speakers: Rev. Jeff Moore and others, At Technology Center Courtyard, San Jose City College, 2100 Moorpark Ave, San Jose. Open to Public.
Or email report to: email@example.com
Additional Events Open to Public
1. Chung Tai Zen Center of Sunnyvale will have following activities:
- 9/18(Sun) Medicine Buddha Blessing Ceremony with Annual Recognition of Zen Center’s volunteers.
- 9/11-9/20 Zen Center offers a total of 13 English and Chinese Zen classes on Buddha’s teaching on wisdom, compassion and mindfulness.
- 9/11 and 9/18 Zen Center offers half-day retreats.
- 9/11-9/20 Zen Center offers lunch and dinner every day of the week.
(All activities are offered to general public free of charge)
2. Santa Clara University:
- September 11, 2017 | 10:00-11:00 AM | Mission Santa Clara, Santa Clara University | Roman Catholic Liturgy (free)
- September 18, 2017 | 10:00-11:00 AM | Mission Santa Clara, Santa Clara University | Roman Catholic Liturgy (free)
- September 18, 2017 | 6:00-7:00 PM | Mission Santa Clara, Santa Clara University | Roman Catholic Liturgy (free)
- September 18, 2017 | 9:00-10:00 PM | Mission Santa Clara, Santa Clara University | Roman Catholic Liturgy (free)
3. First Unitarian Church, San Jose:
- Labyrinth walks at First Unitarian Church of San Jose (160 N. Third St., San Jose from 11:30am to 1pm on 9/12, 9/14, 9/16, 9/19, 9/21.