- This event has passed.
In Pakistan…an estimated 1,000 women are killed every year in so-called “honour killings”. In Argentina, a woman is murdered every 30 hours. Across the world, justice systems continually fail to protect victims or hold perpetrators accountable. ~Hina Jilani (The Elders)
The International Charter For Compassion Women and Girls sector brings you Denim Day. We invite you, your organization, company or your department to institute April 25th as a dedicated day to bring awareness and support to end all forms of violence against women and children.
This campaign was originally triggered by a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court in 1992 where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices felt that since the victim was wearing tight jeans she must have helped her rapist remove her jeans, thereby implying consent. The following day, the women in the Italian Parliament came to work wearing jeans in solidarity with the victim.
“Violence” relates to any form of discrimination, unwanted advances, human trafficking, and/or physical or mental abuse. We know that, as Charter Members and Partners, you, your organization and your company takes this issue seriously and we hope you find this as an important way to reinforce your commitment to creating a more compassionate workplace and world.
Here’s how it works:
- Affirm April 25th as Denim Day
- Donate, or empower your employees to donate $5.00 (or an amount comfortable for you) to the Charter for Compassion Women and Girls for each employee who shows up in jeans (or similar material) to an event or work on April 25th.. Your donation will support our Girls Voices Project. [Donate and in the designation field write “Women and Girls.]
- Use this day to remind others of your commitment to improving conditions and advancing solutions to end violence of all forms against women and children. Use our logo to also remind them of your commitment to Lady Compassion! Or add some blue jeans to your logo, like we did!
- Tap into our network for consultants and facilitators to lead workshops and community-based activities to customize your efforts.
- Use this campaign to let others know how much you care.