- This event has passed.
Exhibit of Historic English Bibles
April 21 @ 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 9:00am, repeating until April 23, 2017
Eight Centuries of God’s Word:
The English Bible 1249-2017 A.D
The Oakland Temple Visitors’ Center presents “Eight Centuries of God’s Word: The English Bible 1249-2017 A.D.” – an exclusive, much anticipated, one-time exhibit of rare Bibles and related texts. The Bible Exhibit includes a lecture series which begins with an Opening Lecture at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 8 (see below).
The exhibit offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to view original, rare, sacred texts, including:
- Leaves from an original illuminated manuscript Bible dated 1249
- 1455 Gutenberg Bible (replica of the first book in Western Europe printed with movable, metal type)
- 1492 Latin Bible
- 1549 Tyndale New Testament
- 1560 First edition Geneva Bible (English)
- 1611 First edition King James Bible
- 1611 Geneva Bible (English)
- 1613 Second edition King James Bible
- 1633 Chained English Bible
- 1696 King James Bible
- 1703 Greek Bible
- 1736 German Bible
- 1770 King James Bible bound for King George III of England
- 1770 King James Bible with double fore-edge paintings
- 1790 King James Bible
- 1825 Catholic Bible (English)
- 1774-1899 Five miniature Bibles about one inch tall
- 1829 Spanish Bible
- 1841 Hexapla Bible displaying the original Greek above with the first six English translations in columns below (Wycliffe, Tyndale, Great, Geneva, Catholic, and King James)
- 1888 Victorian Era English Bible
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s personal English Bible (1949)
- 1830 First edition Book of Mormon
- A beautiful replica of the first edition 1611 King James Bible will be available for guests to peruse.
Bible Exhibit Lecture Series:
- The Bible Exhibit begins with an Opening Lecture at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 8, entitled “From Reformation to Restoration”, by Reid Moon, collector of sacred texts and expert on the English Bible.
- Friday, April 14, at 8:00 p.m. – “William Tyndale and the Ploughboy Bible” – Bible Exhibit Lecture presented by Elder Brent Ward.
- Friday, April 21, at 8:00 p.m. – “Origin and Translation of the King James Version Bible – Bible Exhibit Lecture presented by ”Richard Lambert and Kenneth Mays.
- Saturday, April 22, at 7:00 p.m. – “On the Trail of the King James Translators” – Fireside presented by Richard Lambert and Kenneth Mays.
- Sunday, April 23, at 7:00 p.m. – Collectors of sacred texts and bible experts Reid Moon and David Christensen present the closing lecture of the Bible Exhibit.